Who are we and what do we do?
The Northcott Outreach Service is funded by Hull City Council. It provides experienced staff who can advise on Autism specific strategies for pupils in the mainstream sector who are struggling to engage due to difficulties linked to their Autism. The team consists of 4 teachers and 1 support worker and is available to all Hull Schools. Schools can refer pupils for support who have a diagnosis of Autism or who have been accepted on the Autism Pathway.
The service provides a variety of support which is personalised both to the needs of the pupil and the setting. We are a needs-led service therefore the level of support varies. Here are some examples of the support we provide:
- Advice, support, resources and modelling of Autism specific strategies such as visual supports; 5 Point Scales; Independent work systems; Social Stories; adapted work and visual clarify.
- Small group interventions such as Social Skills; Lego; emotional regulation; understanding Autism and managing exam stress
- Training. There is an annual virtual training offer plus schools can book in house Autism specific training
- Attending meetings and writing reports.
- Transition support particularly key stage 2 to 3.
As well as the Local Authority offer, we can also provide bespoke support packages for your setting. Please contact the team to discuss your requirements.