The Autism Outreach Service began in June 2002. The main role of the service is to work alongside mainstream nurseries, primary and secondary schools to support children on the autism spectrum.
This support involves:
- Personalised whole school training in your setting
- Small group training
- Training program based at Northcott
- Accredited Team Teach Training
- Parents Autism training
- Advice for all staff
- Target setting
- Establishing Social Skills groups
- Inter-agency linking
- Education Health Care Plans
- Demonstrations of key techniques
- A is for Autism – understanding my Autism
- Therapeutic Lego
- Understanding sensory difficulties (training and resources)
The autism training that can be provided to schools includes:
- ASD awareness raising
- Practical strategies for inclusion
- 4 days training workshops held at Northcott
- Social Stories training
- Developing Social Communication
- Developing Social Interaction
- Understanding ASD Behaviour
- Therapeutic Lego
- Transition Planning
- Using visual resources
- Interacting with non-verbal pupils
- Early years & Autism
- Sensory processing difficulties for pupils with Autism
- Sex education for pupils with Autism
- Autism and Girls
- Social skills for pupils with Autism
There are also termly workshops for staff working with pupils on the autism spectrum (see training flier).
Meet the Team
The Autism Outreach Team is made up of teachers who have a specialism and passion for Autism. All outreach teachers hold specialist autism accreditations at post graduate level. Three members of the team are long established Team Teach tutors.
Head of Service Hannah Mackley firstname.lastname@example.org
Outreach Teachers Pippa Berry email@example.com
Carol Botterill firstname.lastname@example.org
Jenny Clark email@example.com
Layla Ewan firstname.lastname@example.org
Chloe Lawrence email@example.com
The service currently supports around 100 schools across Hull and over 650 children.
The service works through a referral system via the SENCO alongside discussion and permission from the parents / carers. SENCOs who have not worked with the Outreach Service before may want to discuss the possibility of a referral with their Educational Psychologists. A referral form is completed and then your allocated Outreach Teacher will carry out an initial observation. After this initial observation, the Outreach Team agree the support the school requires through a planning meeting.
For more information please contact the Outreach Service at Northcott School on 01482 825311.
If you already have an allocated Outreach Teacher you can contact them directly via e-mail (addresses given above).